Located in the Tri-Cities area of Southeastern Washington, Riverview Baptist Church is a Fundamental Independent Baptist Church with two main purposes for our existence. First, we want to see souls come to a saving knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Second, we want to help Christians grow in grace and knowledge.
Riverview Baptist Church has been blessed since its beginning in a Grange Hall in 1963. In February 1979, we moved into our new auditorium designed to seat 1,100 people. Our building complex houses a large Spanish Auditorium, Korean Church, Teen Church, Sunday School, Christian School, Nurseries, and offices for the Pastors, the Church and the School.
Our Sunday morning services are divided into 12 churches, one for every age, so that the Word of God may be presented to every person at his own level. Then, our Sunday evening service is what we call our Family Service. Our Mid-week service on Wednesday is also “FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY.” Our church is large in benefits and services but still retains the “Little Country Church” atmosphere and friendliness.
Our founding pastor, Pastor Dallas Dobson, was saved in his home while watching Billy Graham on television in 1956. He knew the Lord wanted him to preach, so he enrolled in Southern Baptist Bible College in Florida. While in college, he read an article in a magazine entitled, Go West Young Minister, Go West, stating the need for churches in the West, especially Washington state. Pastor Dobson came out of college a Southern Baptist Missionary and headed West. After helping start Finley Baptist Church in 1958, he went back to college to receive more Bible training.
After graduating from Tennessee Temple University, he once again headed toward the Northwest with a vision to build a New Testament Church. Settling in a small community, Pasco, Washington, this vision and many others have become a reality.
The First Baptist Church of Riverview first met in the Columbia Grange Hall located on Court Street and Road 64, on September 15, 1963.
In 1964, the members moved into their new church, which is now the Spanish Auditorium, built on land which had been purchased from a woman who had been praying someone would buy it to build a church on.
When Pastor saw the need for a Christian School, he began praying for one and in 1970, with the help of Bro. Harold Matthews, the school was built. In 1971, after repeated prayer requests for a Christian Radio Station, the Lord answered with a miracle. Today, we enjoy the programs and music heard on KOLU, Christian Family Radio. The gymnasium was built in 1972, and in 1977 the bus garage was added.
As the Lord blessed, the church continued to grow and a larger building was needed. In 1979, our main auditorium facing Richardson Road was built. In 1984, the School Dome and parsonage were built. In October, 1991, the Koreans moved into their new church building located next to the school.
Dr. Dobson was the Pastor or Riverview Baptist Church for over 34 years. The Lord called him home to his eternal heavenly “home” on December 28,1997. Those of us who called him “Pastor” were truly grateful that the Lord led him to the Northwest and into our lives and families.